
Every year, the state of Alaska has a lottery for the chance to drive through Denali National Park. This a pretty big deal because people are only allowed to drive 13 miles into the park. If you want to go any further, you have to take a bus or hike. This park is freaking massive! They do have a road that goes 86 miles into the park. If your name is drawn, you can bring one vehicle and drive all 86 miles of the road for the day you were drawn. The weekend is the last weekend of September right before everything shuts down up there because of the winter. My friend Amy won!!! She invited me to go with her!! I was so excited. There were 5 of us packed up into her car and we made the trip! The picture above is Mt. Denali (or Mt. McKinley, depending on who you talk to...they are changing the name from McKinley to Denali. If you are a local, you call it Denali). We saw this when we were still a couple of hours from the park!
During our drive, we were stopped by this grey wolf strutting his stuff in the middle of the road! It was amazing! He did not even care that we were there! I took this picture from my seat inside of the car! How crazy is that?!?!
This was a male grizzly bear!!! I had no zoom going on in this photo! He was racing (I like to use the term "charging"...it sounds so much cooler and exciting) towards our vehicle! Amy got nervous once he got super close to our car...so she moved up a little. I wanted the bear to hit the car window. I say that now, but I'm sure if that really happened, I may have shit myself.
Only 30% of the people that visit the park actually get to see the mountain because it's usually cloudy. We got to see it!! We're part of the 30% club! This was at the visitor's center deep within the park. I really like this photo because of the American flag in front of the mountain.
Me and my Denali posse at the end of the road in the park! Thank you so much for inviting me Amy! This was a trip of a lifetime! 
No comments:
Post a Comment