Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Hiking in Eagle River


We decided to go hiking with our friend Amy in Eagle River. We went to the nature center and did a seven-mile trail. Three of these seven miles are part of a large trail, Crow Pass. This is a 26-mile trail with part of the trail gaining 4000 feet in elevation. A lot of people hike this in one day, a couple of days, and there's even a running race on this trail! Michael, Amy, and I would like to hike this trail, but in two days. That 4,000 feet elevation gain is a bit scary to me. Oh, and did I mention you have to cross a river...that is made from a glacier and can be waist deep?


A moose rubbing. We did get to see a male and female moose hanging in the woods as we were hiking. This kind of freaked us out because we did not notice them at first and they were pretty freaking close. Freedom smelled the moose. Her hair was standing up, but I don't think she located them. She is a moose barker...aka runs up to the moose and barks at it incessantly!

Some pretty trees


Amy and I at the river. We touched the river and it was cold! I am going to have to gain some weight so I can have some insulation before I cross that river!

Michael and Amy. Oh, and this is not the part of the river you cross when you do Crow Pass...

A grouse

The dogs had to be tied up while we took pictures. Freedom tried to follow us on the rocks, slipped, and got stuck in some rocks in the frigid water. Luckily, we saved her and she was okay. However, she had to be tied up after that!


Amy and me

Michael and the mighty mountain he climbed! :)

One of the trails was blocked off due to bears. We thought this sign was funny. Pay attention to the handwritten part.

A lone salmon

Me in a tree! :)

1 comment:

  1. These are great pictures. I am so glad you're taking advantage of everything while you're there and I can't wait to do the same when we come out to visit! Love you!

    ReplyDelete