Screw the gym! I am now taking up hiking. Several of the people I have met up here are serious hikers and backpackers. Michael and I want to take a backpacking trip so I have decided that it is a good idea to hang out with seasoned Alaskan backpackers and hikers so I can learn all the "ins-and-outs" of this recreational activity. I've gone hiking or walking everyday this week! Whoop whoop! The dogs and I went hiking with the ladies group in Bicentennial Park in Anchorage on Tuesday. That was pretty cool and I met a lot more ladies. It actually looks like I may be taking over as organizer for this ladies group! hahaha! I think this is hysterical seeing that I'm just learning about Alaska and its outdoor pleasures! I'm forming my own adult sorority! hahaha! I'm pretty excited though, and all the girls I have met so far from this group have seemed pretty cool.
I went hiking with a different group on Wednesday. We went to Chugach State Park, but to a different trail head. We did 4.75 miles up and down a mountain! I am woman, hear me roar!!!!! I was really pumped and elated after doing that hike! I'm going to try to go hiking at least twice a week, so I can go on a big backpacking trip this summer or next. The people I went with on Wednesday were really cool and experienced. One guy has tried to climb Mt. McKinley 4 times and has made it to the top once. I was really impressed. Everyone in that group was so helpful and informative. It also made me feel really good that I was able to keep up with all of them. When I got there and met most of them for the first time ever, I knew that I was going to slow them down. They all had walking poles (which I am going to buy today), backpacks, the proper clothes, etc. I just had my little fanny/hip pack on! But I did have enough water to share with the organizer that didn't have her water! :) However, I kept up with them the whole time! I think we're going to try to do a hike every Tuesday and Wednesday night.
Oh, and I'm getting a little nervous about the mosquitoes...it was only 43 degrees F Wednesday, and there were a TON of mosquitoes out!! I even got bit a few times! WTF?!?!?! This is going to be an interesting summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment